Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
There is no excuse for nursing home neglect and elder abuse, but vulnerable senior citizens suffer far too often due to inadequate staffing and poorly trained employees. When a resident’s needs are neglected, it can lead to numerous medical conditions. Abuse can be physical, but it can come in the form of emotional or financial mistreatment as well. According to research, most cases of nursing home abuse and neglect go unreported by residents, due to embarrassment or fear of retribution. Therefore, knowing the signs can be critical in combating it, and Advocates United attorneys are here to help.
When visiting a loved one, look for these common warning signs:
- Bedsores, unexplained bruising or bleeding
• Emotional withdrawal, changes in behavior, or changes in mental status
• Reclusiveness and refusal to speak, or mood swings and emotional outbursts
• Broken bones
• Frequent infections
• Signs of dehydration
• Refusal to eat or take medications
• Poor physical appearance or lack of cleanliness
This is not a complete list, and these symptoms do not point to the certainty of nursing home abuse, but any indication deserves further investigation. As many as 1 in 6 nursing home residents may suffer from abuse or neglect every year. If you suspect your loved one may be suffering, now is the time to speak with an Advocates United attorney.
Nursing Home Neglect by the Numbers
- 30 Number of patients a single nurse's aid may be required to care for in some homes.
- 90 % Of nursing homes do not have adequate staff levels.
- $175 Thousand Dollars. The projected annual cost for a single private nursing home room by 2021.
Get Started for Free:
We're available 24/7. Click to chat with a live representative now.
AU representatives are available 24/7. Call now to learn if we can help you.1-888-994-1333
Get started by getting your case evaluated for free. Fill out this simple form, and we'll get right back to you.